DealDash Cooks: Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake is my husband’s favorite dessert. Lucky for me strawberries are in season and are on sale everywhere.
Strawberry shortcake is not only delicious but also one of the lighter and marginally healthier desserts that you can have. There are a few different ways that you can make strawberry shortcake. The easiest way, of course, is to get the premade cake cups, fill with fresh strawberries, and put whipped cream on top. However, I feel this is the least delicious way to go, that making your own cake ensures that your strawberry shortcake comes out as delicious as possible.
Here is a very simple and easy recipe for strawberry shortcake that will guarantee your family wants seconds on dessert!
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Whipped Cream (recipe down below)
- Mix your strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium-sized bowl
- Add the heavy cream and mix until just combined
- Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes
- Remove shortcake from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally
- Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then place the shortcake on top
- Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve
See, wasn’t that easy? If you want to relax now go ahead and use whipped cream from a can However, if you want to go the extra mile here is the recipe for home-made whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
That’s it! Simple, right? Now that you have made your dessert and have some spare time you can go check out DealDash. They have everything that you need for your kitchen and more! I can tell you from personal experience, making home-made whipped cream is 100% easier with a KitchenAid stand mixer instead of my old-fashioned hand mixer. If you would like to check out the Kitchenaid mixers or anything else for the kitchen just click this link here. Good luck and happy bidding everyone!