DealDash Spooky Crafts: Jar Lights
Making jack-o-lanterns out of real pumpkins is fun, but if you’re not up for a big pumpkin guts mess this year try these spooky mason jar lights instead.
Let’s face it, carving pumpkins is a huge mess. It’s fun, and I would never deprive my children of this great childhood activity, but since both of my bigger kids are at school this year they are actually carving pumpkins on a field trip – I feel like I can skip it, since the baby doesn’t know what he’s missing! However, since I do like to keep things festive for the holidays, I thought that this spooky mason jar craft project was a happy medium between “huge mess” and “not decorating”. This craft is fun, easy, and only needs a few materials to make a very adorably spooky decoration.
- Mason Jar
- String of fairy lights
- Tissue paper (any color, but if you want to make “pumpkins” use orange)
- Construction paper (black)
- Paint (optional)
- Mod podge (or watered down elmer’s glue)
- Cut out your “pumpkin” face, or any other shape that you would like use to decorate the jar.
- Using the mod podge or glue, attach the face shapes to the inside of the mason jar.
- Using thin strips of tissue paper, attach 1 layer of tissue paper to the inside of the jar using the paintbrush, coat it with the mod modge or glue. Set aside to dry.
- Cover the outside of the lid with either paint or a layer of the tissue paper. I find that the paint looks better, but the tissue paper dries more quickly. It’s your choice.
- After everything has dried, put your fairy lights inside the jar. Put the battery pack in the bottom of the jar, and put the lights inside on top of the battery pack. You can arrange them in any way you like, but since they will be shining through the tissue paper it doesn’t really make much of a difference how you place them as long as the battery pack is on the bottom.
- That’s it! Enjoy your spooky Halloween mason jar.
I hope that you found this to be a fun craft to do by yourself or with your kids or grandkids. DealDash has some great auctions on craft and sewing supplies. Check out the sewing machines and more on DealDash. Click here and visit DealDash to see how much you can save. Good luck and happy bidding, everyone!